Sunday, May 11, 2014

The Beach!

The Beach

After being here for about 10 days we felt we had gotten a good dose of the megacity we call São Paulo (city details to follow in future blog posts).  We decided it was time to head to the beach!  São Paulo is less than 90 miles from several beaches so we used Wendy’s co-workers as our travel agents to help determine where to go and where to stay.  We had heard Friday evening traffic can be the worst we tried to head out by about 3pm.  Due to a bit of city traffic and some smaller roads we arrived to our hotel in about 3 hours (which was to be expected).  

Once we got out of the city we were amazed by the beautiful tropical mountains and the coastline. Wendy said several times she felt like she was home in Hawaii....

.... and the girls had a lot of fun playing in the sand.



Since we had heard so much safety I had been concerned for months that  my "shark bait" complexion and non-Brazilian clothing might make stand out as a potential target on a beach.  After coming to Brazil I've seen there is actually a pretty diverse group of ethnicities and skin tones, so appearance wise a lot of it comes down to my attire (as long as I don't open my mouth)!


However, since I feel a bit more modest since my water polo days I was feeling quite shy to try out a brazilian swim suit (or sunga) like this “birds of paradise” print I saw at the nearby mall.




Luckily we went to a beach with several surfers and my surf trunks (or “Bermudas”) fit in with them just fine!  The waves were too rough for the girls, but the water was really warm.


   All in all... Lily and I agree...After a long Chicago winter It's nice to be in Brazil... chillin' together at the beach!

3 comments:

  1. Love the cute little face Lily is making with you in the last picture! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebekah sort of stole my comment...but I was going to say, "Love the 'conversation' you and Lily are having!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, such a cute last picture!!! And it's good to know those shorts don't interest you, I don't know how I feel having a brother wear them. :)

    ReplyDelete